Caregiving Youth Institute Conference, Nation’s Premier Youth Caregiving Conference, set for April 27th in Boca Raton
Boca Raton, Florida – There are 1.4 million caregiving children between the ages of 8 and 18 in this country. These are kids who provide significant or substantial assistance, often on a regular basis, to relatives or household members who need help because of physical or mental illness, disability, frailty associated with aging, substance misuse or other condition. This enormous responsibility to care for those that should care for them can lead a child to disengage from school friends, drop out, suffer mental and emotional health challenges, and more.
On Thursday April 27th the Caregiving Youth Institute Conference will be held in Boca Raton. The conference aims to bring together the brightest and most experience leaders in researching and addressing the issue of properly supporting caregiving youth. Topics during the one day conference will include:
- Ripple Effect of Economic Cuts on Caregiving Youth & Their Families
- Building School Culture to Support Caregiving Youth
- Parentification and Caregiving Youth
- Medication Administration & Management by Youth
Several youth caregivers will be in attendance to give their first person accounts of their experiences and consult on what is needed to support this population of ‘hidden heroes.’ Among the kids who will speak is Isis Michalski (pictured above) of West Palm Beach. She spent half of her life assisting in her mother’s care during three separate cancer battles.
The public is encouraged to attend the event. The event is coordinated and hosted by Boca Raton- based American Association of Caregiving Youth (www.aacy.org) and its founder Dr. Connie Siskowski, who is nationally recognized as the pioneer in research and addressing the needs of caregiving youth.
For more information on the Conference, visit: http://www.cgyinstitute.org/2017conference.htm
- Caregiving Youth Institute Conference
- Date: Thursday April 27, 2017
- Time: Registration 7:30, Program 8:30 AM to 2 PM.
- Location: Safe Schools Institute, 1793 Spanish River Boulevard, Boca Raton, FL
- Notes: Further details are on email attachment