Since we’re supposed to avoid the grocery store for the next week or two whenever possible, here are some hacks that will make your fresh food last a bit longer.
1. Put a paper towel in with your lettuce or spinach to absorb the extra moisture and keep them from getting soggy.
2. Re-wrap your block of cheese, but in wax paper so it gets a tiny bit of air. Then put the whole thing inside a partially open plastic bag.
3. Freeze leftover broth in ice cube trays. A lot of recipes only call for a little bit of chicken stock, so don’t waste a whole bottle. Freeze the rest so it’s easy to use later.
4. Store fresh herbs in water, just like you store fresh flowers, in a glass with a little water in the bottom.
5. Dry produce really well after you wash it. Extra moisture can make it rot faster.