Alpha Media Supports Those Affected By Hurricane Michael. Please Help Those Who Have Been Affected By Making A Donation To The Red Cross.
Millions of people are in the path of Hurricane Michael as the unprecedented storm hits the Gulf Coast today with life-threatening winds, heavy rainfall and deadly storm surge.
- Hurricane Michael has now made landfall.
- Officials are calling Hurricane Michael the worst storm that’s threatened the Florida Panhandle in a century. Michael is bringing 150 mph winds, up to a foot of rain and a storm surge as high as 13 feet to some areas of Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Tornadoes are also predicted.
- Officials are predicting prolonged power outages.
- The storm’s winds will feel similar to an EF-1 and EF-2 tornado.
- More than 375,000 people are under evacuation orders and many schools and colleges are closed along with airports and ports.
- The storm is also forecast to drop heavy rain later this week in the Carolinas where people are still struggling with the aftermath of Hurricane Florence.
The American Red Cross is on the ground along the Gulf Coast to provide safe shelter and support for evacuees as Hurricane Michael comes ashore. Tuesday night, approximately 4,000 people stayed in nearly 70 American Red Cross and community evacuation centers across Florida, Georgia and Alabama.
- There are more than 500 trained disaster workers on their way to the region to join the Red Cross volunteers already in place in the three states.
- The Red Cross has pre-positioned enough shelter supplies, including cots and blankets, to be able to support some 15,000 people after landfall and is also mobilizing additional relief supplies, vehicles and other equipment to help people in the affected areas if needed.
- We’re also working with partners to prepare for serving tens of thousands of meals per day once the storm passes.
- Since October 9, more than 3.6 million weather alerts have been issued through Red Cross apps allowing people to make informed and lifesaving decisions.
The Red Cross urges those in the affected areas to pay attention to updates on the storm and follow evacuation orders. You can also download the free Red Cross Emergency App – which has information about open shelters, emergency alerts and more.
Trained Red Cross disaster responders have been working 24/7 to support preparedness efforts in the face of Hurricane Michael and continue to support those affected as the storm makes landfall.
Volunteers are working to provide safe shelter across three states in response to Hurricane Michael. Some evacuation centers may not have cots, food, running water or electricity as they are meant to safely house people for about 72 hours until weather conditions improve.
HONOR ROLL: ANNUAL DISASTER GIVING PROGRAM AND DISASTER RESPONDER
Through the generosity of our American Red Cross Annual Disaster Giving Program (ADGP) and Disaster Responder members, the American Red Cross is prepared before disaster strikes. ADGP and Disaster Responder members help secure a reliable funding base for disaster relief services that enables the Red Cross to respond immediately, meeting the needs of individuals and families affected by disaster, regardless of cost.
Right now, the Red Cross is on the ground and taking action with the support of our ADGP and Disaster Responder partners.
Current ADGP $1M members are:
|Adelson Family Foundation
Bank of America
Brown & Brown Insurance
The Clorox Company
Delta Air Lines
Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation
|The Home Depot Foundation
Lowe’s Companies, Inc.
Mazda North American Operations
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation
The Walt Disney Company
Current ADGP $500k members are:
|21st Century Fox
BMW of North America
Darden Restaurants, Inc. Foundation
Energy Transfer/Sunoco Foundation
Ford Motor Company
John Deere Foundation
Mondelēz International Foundation
New Balance Foundation
Procter & Gamble Company
Tata Consultancy Services
The TJX Companies, Inc.
The USAA Foundation
The Wawa Foundation
Current Disaster Responder members are:
|7-Eleven Cares Foundation
AdvoCare International L.P.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc.
AXA Equitable Life
The Ball Foundation
Choice Hotels International
DICK’S Sporting Goods
Harbor Freight Tools Foundation, LLC
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Foundation
Ingersoll Rand Foundation
|The J.M. Smucker Company
Land O’Lakes, Inc.
Neiman Marcus Group
Northrop Grumman Corporation
Northwestern Mutual and the Northwestern Mutual Foundation
Rodan + Fields Prescription for Change Foundation
Southeastern Grocers Home of BI-LO Harveys Winn Dixie
The Starbucks Foundation
United Technologies Corporation